Wednesday, March 20, 2013

365 Days Of Junk - Day 28



Trench Art





So... I'm either a dummy or someone who doesn't get out very much. Maybe even a dummy who doesn't get out much, but I had never heard of Trench Art until I found this thing. I thought it was some funky brass vase in the Goodwill store. It was super heavy and upon further inspection I could tell that it was a shell casing to a large bullet, It say 105MM M14 on the bottom which is apparently a Howitzer shell.

What I have learned since finding it is that soldiers used to turn the shell casings and other remnants of war into decorative items. This one has a date from the 1940s on the bottom so it dates back to WWII. 

This may be the most historically interesting item that I have found, to date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment