Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Year Has Passed


Dear T,

I hope this message finds you wherever your soul rests in the universe, now. I'm sure you're near a fishing hole, surrounded by horses. Maybe you are working in your wood shop, building rocking horses and buzz saws. I'm sure Nana is with you, taking care of you.

It's been a year since you left us. You passed the day after Father's Day, which was so strange since Nana left us the day after Mother's Day, so many years before. I read that grieving for a lost loved one gets easier after the first year. I hope that's true, but I'm not so sure.

There is not a day that passes that I don't think of you and miss you. The world is not the same without you. It is harder to face a new day knowing that the man that loved us so much is gone. Your love is gone.

The little house on the hill that you called home and loved so much, now sits empty. Rick took rocks out of the yard as reminders of you. We wait for someone to buy it, knowing that day will bring horrible sadness. That little house that held so much love for us and so many happy times will no longer be part of our lives. It feels like some of the happiest parts of my childhood are gone. I guess they are gone. They only live in memories now.

I look at your photo albums often. I remember so many things. I see how much you cherished your family. I wonder who some of the people are. I see you in your prime, happy and smiling. I am sorry that Sophie only has pictures of you. I am sorry that she will never have the wonderful, happy memories that I have of a great man who loved me so dearly.

Go rest high on that mountain. I love you.

-Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment