Monday, August 13, 2012

Fun with Bondo

I had a great thrift store find, yesterday. I found a pair of Monkey Lamps. Actually, another lady was looking at them but decided not to get them. So... It was a score for me. They are Monkey Lamps by artist Bill Huebbe.

Here is a picture of the exact lamp from his website:


Fantastic right?????

Well I found  a pair of them for almost no money. But... One had a chip on the back of the collar of the coat. I decided to try to fix it with Bondo!


I mixed the Bondo with the hardening agent in a cup. I put a piece of table on the collar, behind the section that was missing, and I filled in the area with the Bondo. Here are some more photos:



Once it dried, I sanded & painted it. This stuff does dry quickly and has a very strong chemical smell, but it works! Here is the finished, painted collar:



And here is the repaired monkey from the front:


Cute and almost as good as new. I did go out and buy some nice black shades to go on them. They look great, but I am a huge fan of monkeys.

So... How would a rate the Bondo project? It was very easy and took me less than 2 hours to complete, including drying time. The only real minus to the product is the odor, but it's not bad enough to be a reason not to use it. I will definitely be using it for more repairs in the future. (I will try to remember to take more pictures next time.)

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment