Thursday, July 11, 2013

365 Days of Junk - Day 140

Weighted Sterling Silver Compote Dish



This is a weighted, sterling silver compote dish or candy dish. It was very dented when I bought it, but the picture shows it after I started to peel the silver off the "weighted" part. I think there was some sort of clay inside this piece. Anyway, I'm just showing this because you can find sterling silver in thrift stores. I bought this piece for less than $2. It was in such bad condition that it had no resale value as a compote/candy dish. So, pulled the silver off and sold it for scrap.

I will say, trying to dismantle this thing to get to the silver was a PROCESS. It was way more work than I anticipated. But... You can't sell an intact weighted piece of silver for scrap. Again, I just wanted to show that you can find sterling silver in thrift stores. By the way, this is not the only sterling silver that I have purchased for just a few dollars!

No comments:

Post a Comment