Thursday, January 3, 2013

365 Days of Junk - Day 3

Topsy-Turvy Doll

You've  seen one of these, right?




It's all the same doll! This one is a Little Red Riding Hood topsy-turvy doll. On one end, it has Little Red Riding Hood with her dress and her hood. When you pull her skirt up and flip the doll over, you have Grandma on one side and The Wolf on the other side. Grandmas bonnet covers The Wolf's face so that you can't see him until it's removed. 

I found this doll at a local thrift store for $1.91. It totally reminds me of my childhood, because I had several of these types of dolls, which my mother purchased from a specialty gift shop. When I found it, I started researching it and discovered that they are called Topsy-Turvy Dolls. They were traditionally handmade folk art dolls that had a white female doll on one end and a black female doll on the other. 

My mother recently found some new ones in a specialty store in Charleston, SC. She bought several for Sophie & me. It is just amazing to see the dolls that people can create!

Fun, yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment