Friday, January 4, 2013

365 Days Of Junk - Day 4

Miniature Lane Cedar Chest



I know it sounds silly, but this item is near and dear to my heart. Lane Furniture originated in Altavista VA, my parents hometown. My beloved maternal grandfather, and 2 of my great grandfathers worked for Lane. When I find something made by Lane, especially pieces made in Altavista, I always try to purchase them. I hope that my grandfather has had some hand in making the pieces that I find.

The miniature Lane Cedar Chests are mini versions of the standard size chests. They were used as salesman's samples for furniture stores. This one is marked with the name of a furniture store in Florida.

People used these as jewelry boxes or keepsake boxes. It has a lock and would have come with a key. It's rare to find one that still has them key with it, but I think you can easily find replacement keys.

Oh yeah... I found this particular one in a thrift store for $1.21!

No comments:

Post a Comment