Friday, July 20, 2012

75+ Years of Dirt

Would you like to see what 75+ plus years of dirt looks like on the underside of a dining table?

Here you go:


Nice, right?????

I bought this table (with 4 chairs):


And this chins cabinet:


And this buffet: (please disregard this strange man who would not get out of the way)


I found them all, last week, at a thrift store (for a steal). I originally intended to sell the china cabinet and buffet, but then I decided to get the table too. We needed a new table in our breakfast room and a nice lady in the store convinced me that it would be a shame to break up the set. Did I mention that it's a set? They are beautiful pieces made by Henry C. Steul & Sons. As best I can tell, Steul & Sons was in business from 1920 until around 1937.


That would make these pieces at least 75 years old. They are in fairly good condition considering their age and the fact that they were unloved enough to end up being donated to a thrift store. Having said that, look what I had to clean off of the bottom of the table:



Yep, that's mold!

Here's another look at the dirt:


It was a disgusting clean up, but I got it done. We put the table and the chine cabinet in the kitchen/breakfast room, and they look great. The table needs a little bit of work. The china cabinet needs a key! It didn't come with a key and I can't open it without one. Ha ha. Anyway... When I make everything look purdy, I will post some update pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment