Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I made one!!!!!!


Here is a not so great photo of my melted crayon art!

I have been interested in creating one of these ever since I saw them all over the internets. I was curious about the process. Like, do you need a heat gun??????

This is what I found out... It was actually a lot of fun in a destructive, I probably shouldn't be doing this kind of way. You do not need a heat gun, a hair dryer works JUST FINE. In fact, the crayons begin to melt in a matter of seconds and become super runny. The air from the dryer will cause the wax to splatter.

I was surprised at how quickly they melt and by the consistency of the wax. I really thought it would take longer and be thicker. I dunno why I thought that. Anyway, this is probably not a good project to have young children participate in.

Oh yeah... I should also mention that it creates a burning, melted wax smell. I cannot give details on the pungency of the smell, because I have had a cold and can't smell much of anything (dirty diapers and dogs farts included -- it's been a bonus!). However, Alex looked at the canvas and said, "oh that's what the smell is." It may be a good idea to try this one outside or in a well ventilated area.

I give this project 2 thumbs up, because it's easy & amusing. Have fun!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment