Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Truck Stop Potatoes

I am a foodie. Have I mentioned that? I love to cook and eat. My food motto is: life's too short to eat bad food. By bad food, I mean anything that tastes bad to the person eating it. I add that explanation because I do eat my share of unhealthy, guilty pleasures. McDonald's french fries anyone??????

About a year ago, I can across a recipe for Truck Stop Potatoes in a magazine. The name just cracked me up and definitely got my attention. I have to say that I have no idea where the name comes from. Upon reading the recipe, I discovered that it contains potatoes, cheese, tomatoes, and sour cream. These are some of Alex's favorite things (they are also pretty high on my list). So... I decided to try it, and it is a hit! I have modified the original recipe to suit our tastes and I thought I would share. Feel free to take it and make it your own.

Truck Stop Potatoes

Truck Stop Potatoes
2 pounds red skin potatoes cut into large chunks
1 large onion chopped (approx. 1 cup or to taste)
8 oz sour cream (I would not use fat-free but can use low-fat)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (Monterrey Jack works well also)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes drained (needs to be drained or potatoes will be soupy)
pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. 

Boil potatoes and onion until the potatoes are tender, approx 20 min. Drain potatoes & onion and put into a large bowl. Add all other ingredients and stir to combine. Spoon the mixture into a baking dish. Bake uncovered until heated through and bubbly, 20-30 min. Allow potatoes to cool slightly before serving. They come out of the oven hot & cheesy.

*I like to sprinkle a little extra cheese on top and return it to the oven for about 5 min to let the cheese melt. 

Eat & Enjoy!


I'm thinking that these would be fantastic with a little bacon crumbled in. I will have to try that next! You could also add some peppers or salsa to give it a tex-mex kick. 

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment