Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pecan Pie Y'all

I've done some baking the past couple of days, 2 loaves of banana bread and 2 pecan pies. I LOVE pecan pie. I have loved it since I was a child. It may be because I'm southern. I also say y'all (because I'm southern and I can't help it). Anyway, I baked the 2 pies, last night. One for a friend (because he said ti was his favorite) and one for me. Here they are:


The one I'm giving away is just your basic pecan pie, but the one I'm keeping is a chocolate pecan pie.

Here's my basic pecan pie recipe:

Pecan Pie
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vanilla
3 large eggs
2 cups pecan halves
1 unbaked pie crust (9-inch deep dish)


Preheat oven to 325*F. Combine the melted butter, corn syrup, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir the mixture until all ingredients are incorporated. Add the eggs, stirring until they are fully incorporated. Be careful not to make the mixture foamy. Stir in the pecans. Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Bake at 325 for 60-75 min, or until the middle of the pie is set. Cool the pie completely before cutting.

Then you have this:



And this:



If you like pecans and sugary goo, it really is so good!

The sliced pie, in the picture above, is the chocolate one. What's the secret to the chocolate pecan pie?????????

Wait for it..... You add chocolate!

I added about a cup of semi-sweet mini chips to this pie, but you could add a little more or a little less. If you want to be really fancy, you can chop any kind of chocolate you would like & add it. I would also like to mention that you don't have to use pecan halves. You can use pecan pieces. The pieces are a little more affordable, they taste the same (obviously), and they make a pie that is easier to slice.

Oh yeah... I don't make my own my crust. I don't currently have the time or patience (maybe one day). I just buy the frozen ones. They are super easy to use. (Go ahead... I won't tell.) The pie filling is the important part anyway.

On a healthier note... I bought the most delicious apples, yesterday. Seriously!


They are called Honey Crisp apples and they are fantastic. Don't get me wrong, I would rather be eating junk food (pie anyone?) but this was the best apple I have ever had.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment